Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros and Cons--A Texan's Promise

I caught Shelly Gray's A Texan's Promise  free on Kindle recently. I was immediately swept into the story from the first paragraph. The story has a great message, and for a good part of the book, a high amount of suspense. To give a complete and honest review though, I'd have to say that the middle lags just a bit when she sends the hero one way and the heroine another. She tries to keep them connected with letters, but to me the level of uncertainty and tension drops considerably. Another brief point I did not care for was when the heroine's brother prays for his deceased mother--which can't do her a bit of good (especially since she committed suicide).

I guess on scale of one to five I'd go for a 3.5. I have book two in the series as well, and I still think I'll give it a try to see if she has learned to improve her storytelling. After all, the writing business is one in which you can never learn enough.

2 comments:

  1. Good, honest review. I'll watch for the book to be on Kindle again for free. Even though you didn't care for the brother's prayer, it's realistic, especially in the case of suicide. People do all sorts of strange things after a death, even if they don't make sense. I look forward to your review of the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you catch the book on Kindle, but beware if you do--the night I started reading it I stayed up until midnight. :)

      Delete