Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Heartfelt Thanks

"Why do we have Mother's Day?" I actually had this question asked of me this past weekend. My mother and I came up with the response, "Someone must have really loved their mother and made a day to celebrate it." In a way this is true, but now I wonder what is the real history on the subject.

From what I gather, many countries celebrate mothers. Although, they do not all celebrate on the same day. My count came to 79 countries (including the U.S.) who will celebrate on the second Sunday in May. The push for a "Mother's Day" began in the U.S. as far back as the 1870s, but not until 1914 did it become a national holiday. Anna Jarvis is given credit for finally convincing others, including President Woodrow Wilson, that we should have a day for celebrating mothers.

I, for one, celebrate the gift of my mother. She is an amazing woman of God who loves me unconditionally. I am grateful she taught me God's Word from a young age. I am truly blessed to have her in my life.

How about you? Are you thankful for the mother figures in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment