Tuesday, April 3, 2012

When the Ceiling Caves

Sometimes life is so much more than what you expect. Sometimes for the good. Sometimes for the not-so-good. For example: yesterday, I walked into my building out back that we started re-roofing and discovered about a quarter of the ceiling had caved, depositing sheet rock and insulation and soot and dirt and wasp nests and water...all over my carpet. We'd thought we'd protected this from happening by covering the unfinished, unshingled roof with tarps. (We did this in the dark, in the rain before the bottom fell out and everything got drenched last week.) Clearly, one of those tarps had seen better days--as had I.

What do we do when these things happen? Do we cry? get angry? depressed? or just press on? Maybe it's a combination of all of these. My first reaction was to turn my back to the destruction and breathe, "Lord have mercy." Even my mother copied the prayer when she saw the mess. In these situations, so many factors are out of our control.  However, the one thing we have control over is our reaction. We can take the experiences we have and use them as stepping stones for higher ground or we can let them bury us. I prefer to be a climber. I do this by clinging to God's promises. Promises like--

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." ~ Romans 8:28

I know and trust God can and will work everything out for my good. If anything, I can relate better to the woman in my book and write the scene in a more realistic fashion to touch the hearts of those who read it in a more meaningful way.

What about you? Has there ever been a time when something bad happened and later you could see God using it for good in your life? Leave a comment and share your experience. You never know who you might help with your story.

No comments:

Post a Comment