Thursday, July 28, 2011

Research at its Best!

Most people think research is boring, but that really isn't so. It all boils down to what you're researching. Our family research/rest trip to Central Texas was definitely one of those enjoyable research moments. For instance, I learned that from far away you can tell the difference between a mesquite tree and a live oak by the shade of green they're sporting. (Mesquite is lighter by the way - just in case you're wondering.) I took the snapshot of that massive tree to the right within Colorado Bend State Park. A live oak whose base would require at least 4 people with arms outstretched to encircle it. Huge!

Pictures are priceless, fun memorable, and laughter contagious. Most of the time the best memories are the ones you never planned and never expected to happen - a gift from God to say the least. We had one such experience, but alas I must keep you wondering and coming back for more so you won't be seeing that story until next week. :) Grrr, right?

I promised pics that would stir your imagination for book number 2, The Husband Escape. Since I'm a seat-of-the-pants kind of writer, I tentatively say you'll see me use this idea somewhere near the beginning, middle, or end of the book. ;)

Picture courtesy of Williamson Photos
This picture is of a dried up river bed (unfortunately most of Texas is in an exceptional drought). I'm sure at times this would have water, but that's beside the point. Can't you see a rush of muddy water hurrying in a torrent your direction fed by rains further up stream? Could you imagine the sheer terror and amazement you'd feel to see that wall of water heading your way? What would you do? How would you react?
Another tidbit from research: Central Texas is known for flash floods. Are you getting the idea yet? :) I hope so. I'm not sure I could spell it out much better than I already have.


We also hiked to a waterfall during the trip (which was little more than a trickle in this heat wave). A refreshing bit of green in an other wise sun dried landscape. The water flowing out over the rocks at the bottom was blessedly, ice cold. Did I tell you we hiked up there during the heat of the day? Smart, huh?

I have to admit I've played with the idea of using a waterfall in book 2, but as of yet haven't decided. If I do, these falls probably won't reflect the idea floating around in my brain. I've seen others in that area in the past and find them more suitable to my reflections should I go that direction.

Anyway, I hope all this has wet your taste buds for The Husband Escape. I know it has mine.

Crystal L Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment