Monday, August 12, 2013

A Chicken Guarding Chickens

Ever seen a woman streak out of a chicken house like her britches were on fire? Well, you would've if you'd seen me this morning. I'd just gone in to check for eggs and lo and behold ... guess what I found? A 3 to 4 ft long chicken snake curled up in the last nest. Ladies and gentlemen, this is why you always, always look before you stick your hand inside a hole of any size in Texas.

Boy, I squealed and took off like a greased pig in a hog scramble. That was so not the way I expected to start my morning. I went inside, called my mom whose only advice was to get the gun... so I did. Still shaking and almost to the point of tears, I grabbed my rifle, and after many moments of peeking in and out at the snake, I finally gathered up my nerve and rid myself of the unwanted critter. My ears rang as I hurried out of that hen house. It took me a few moments to regain my hearing and my courage to go back and see if the job was done. When I finally did, the snake moved--guess what? Yeah, he ate another bullet. :)

To be sure, this event will probably end up as a scene in a book one day.

So how did your morning go? Was it more or less eventful than mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment