Friday, May 1, 2015

Telephones, Carousels, & Cabins

Howdy y'all! Do you know what telephones, carousels, and cabins have in common? I got to visit a place recently that had all three and more. Thought I'd share some fun pics from my visit to the Dickinson Co Museum in Abilene, Kansas.

There was a switchboard you could fiddle with, plus an old phone booth.










For $2 you can ride a steam-powered carousel built back at the turn of the 20th century.











I chose to ride one of the horses. Notice, there's no poles, only stirrups and reins to help you hold on. And they rocked! Literally. Just a like the gait of a real horse. So cool.












You could also wander through an old log cabin, complete with wood stove, dry sink, and even a washing machine. (That's what I'm sitting beside on the porch.)












One last thing we toured was a barn full of old stuff.


All in all, the hour or so spent at the museum was well worth it.

What was the last museum you toured?


P.S. I've shared a bit more about the carousel on my group blog Stitches Thru Time

No comments:

Post a Comment